How to: bear crawl like Rashad Evans
Image courtesy of MMAXFIT
This article is courtesy of the fitness freaks at MMAXFIT – because if you’re an MMA fan, you should train like one.
Have you ever seen Rashad Evans or Jon Jones enter the cage? They sleek their way in - legs bent, chest to the ground with their hands on the deck. At any moment, they appear capable of exploding in any direction to mount an attack, or avoid danger.
Well, it turns out that you don’t need to be an elite MMA athlete to develop the fantastic speed and dynamic core strength demonstrated by guys like Rashad. Simply incorporate this MMA inspired workout into your current training regime to develop the speed and stamina of a professional fighter.
From an MMA standpoint, bear crawls are utilised by professional fighters during training because they are a great exercise to develop body awareness, which is extremely important in competition. This exercise is designed to increase dynamic strength and stabilisation in your shoulders and is an excellent full body conditioning exercise regularly used in the warm up phase of a MMAXFIT workout.
Bear crawls develop muscle tone in the shoulders, hamstrings and glutes, while also improving core strength.
How to bear crawl:
- Begin on your hands and knees and then push up on to your feet whilst activating your core (similar to a bridge, commonly used when training abs). You’ll feel if your core is engaged, so have a few cracks at it to get your technique right before moving on to step two.
- Push off your right foot and bring it towards your right shoulder. At the same time, lift your opposite hand and drive it forward.
- Repeat this movement with the opposite hand and foot to create a bear-like crawl. As you begin to tire you’ll feel your core and possibly your glutes begin to fail. Focus on good form; you’ll get far more long term results by doing it properly than you will going harder/longer and looking like an injured chimp in the process.
MORE ARTICLES YOU'LL LIKE
Get your press on!
Hell-raisers to get you lean and mean
Beastly lunge exercise to get toned
Get your butt into shape with this squat workout
Get in your 'red zone' with these power bag thrusters
Master the power bag row-to-deadlift combo
- Fabricio Werdum def Travis Browne by DEC
- Miesha Tate def Liz Carmouche by DEC
- Donald Cerrone def Edson Barboza by SUB @3.15 rnd1
- Yoel Romero def Brad Tavares by DEC
- Khabib Nurmagomedov def Rafael dos Anjos by DEC
- Thiago Alves def Seth Baczynski by DEC
- Jorge Masvidal def Pat Healy by DEC
- Alex White def Estavan Payan by TKO @1.22 rnd1
- Caio Magalhaes def Luke Zachrich by TKO @0.44 rnd1
- Jordan Mein def Hernani Perpetuo by S/DEC
- Dustin Ortiz def Ray Borg by S/DEC
- Mirsad Bektic def Chas Skelly by DEC
- Derrick Lewis def Jack May by TKO @4.23 rnd1
1Video: Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen brawl on TUF set
2Video: tensions reach breaking point at TUF Finale weigh-ins
3Browne broke ribs and hand in first round against Werdum
4The one punch KO that finished a legend
5Exclusive: 'motivated' BJ Penn chasing Edgar finish, then UFC featherweight belt
1Three exercises you're probably not doing (but should be)
2Elias Theodorou secures six figure UFC contract with TUF title
3'Furious' Kennedy upsets Bisping, stifles 'The Count' for TUF Nations victory
4Laprise upsets 'the next GSP' to become The Ultimate Fighter winner
5‘I’d beat Anderson Silva and Jon Jones’, says Rich Franklin