How to: bear crawl like Rashad Evans
Image courtesy of MMAXFIT
This article is courtesy of the fitness freaks at MMAXFIT – because if you’re an MMA fan, you should train like one.
Have you ever seen Rashad Evans or Jon Jones enter the cage? They sleek their way in - legs bent, chest to the ground with their hands on the deck. At any moment, they appear capable of exploding in any direction to mount an attack, or avoid danger.
Well, it turns out that you don’t need to be an elite MMA athlete to develop the fantastic speed and dynamic core strength demonstrated by guys like Rashad. Simply incorporate this MMA inspired workout into your current training regime to develop the speed and stamina of a professional fighter.
From an MMA standpoint, bear crawls are utilised by professional fighters during training because they are a great exercise to develop body awareness, which is extremely important in competition. This exercise is designed to increase dynamic strength and stabilisation in your shoulders and is an excellent full body conditioning exercise regularly used in the warm up phase of a MMAXFIT workout.
Bear crawls develop muscle tone in the shoulders, hamstrings and glutes, while also improving core strength.
How to bear crawl:
- Begin on your hands and knees and then push up on to your feet whilst activating your core (similar to a bridge, commonly used when training abs). You’ll feel if your core is engaged, so have a few cracks at it to get your technique right before moving on to step two.
- Push off your right foot and bring it towards your right shoulder. At the same time, lift your opposite hand and drive it forward.
- Repeat this movement with the opposite hand and foot to create a bear-like crawl. As you begin to tire you’ll feel your core and possibly your glutes begin to fail. Focus on good form; you’ll get far more long term results by doing it properly than you will going harder/longer and looking like an injured chimp in the process.
MORE ARTICLES YOU'LL LIKE
'Corellision course': abs 2.0 for the new generation body
Forget crunches, try these four hard-core exercises instead
Get your press on!
Hell-raisers to get you lean and mean
Beastly lunge exercise to get toned
Get your butt into shape with this squat workout
- Robbie Lawler def Matt Brown by DEC
- Anthony Johnson def Antonio Rogerio Nogeuira by TKO @0.44 rnd1
- Dennis Bermudez def Clay Guida by SUB @2.57 rnd2
- Bobby Green def Josh Thomson by DEC
- Jorge Masvidal def Daron Cruickshank by DEC
- Patrick Cummins def Kyle Kingsbury by DEC
- Tim Means def Hernani Perpetuo by DEC
- Brian Ortega def Mike De La Torre by SUB @1.39 rnd1
- Gilbert Burns def Andreas Stahl by DEC
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk def Juliana Lima by DEC
- Noad Lahat def Steven Siler by DEC
1Recovering heroin addict Matt Brown hits the scales ahead of his quest for UFC gold
2Overeem talks ego's, training with Jon Jones and why being 'big and strong' matters
3Breaking news: Gustafsson out, Jones meets Cormier for title
4LIVE UFC Robbie Lawler vs. Matt Brown results and blog
5Grudge match: McGregor vs. Poirier booked for UFC 178